Justin Mentell appears as Garrett Wells, a brash young attorney on the series.
|Birth name:||Justin Michael Mentell|
|Born:||December 16, 1982|
|Birthplace:||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
|Died||February 1, 2010(aged 27)|
|Deathplace:||Mineral Point, Wisconsin, U.S.|
|Appeared on:||Boston Legal|
|Character played:||Garrett Wells|
Justin Mentell (born Justin Michael Mentell December 16, 1982 – February 1, 2010) was an American artist and actor.played the part of Garrett Wells, a young attorney with Crane, Poole & Schmidt who appeared in Season 2 of Boston Legal.
Justin died in a car accident in Iowa County, Wisconsin.
Life and careerEdit
Born in Austin, Texas, Justin made his stage debut at three years of age as an orphan in Miss Liberty, and went on to appear in local theater productions, among them the musical Peter Pan, in which he portrayed one of the Lost Boys. After the family moved to Waukegan, Illinois, Mentell joined the Northbrook Children's Theater, where he continued to perform on stage. He also took up speed skating, placing third at the AAU Junior Olympics and eventually becoming a member of the U.S. Speedskating's junior national long track team.
Mentell attended Northern Illinois University (NIU), where he majored in acting. He appeared in several plays there, including Balm in Gilead, The Play's the Thing and Never the Sinner. During his sophomore year, he trained at the Moscow Art Theatre, as part of a summer exchange program sponsored by NIU's School of Theater and Dance.
At NIU he also appeared in several independent films, including At the Still Point, for which he received the Golden Reel Award for Best Actor at its 2005 Film Festival. He also appeared in "Gotham III" in 2004 and used his speed-skating skills to land a role in the 2004 roller derby comedy Roll Bounce.
Mentell was a member of the cast of television dramedy Boston Legal as Garrett Wells. He played the role from the end of the first season through February 2006. His 2009 projects included Death Walks the Streets and the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced live-action/CGI family feature G-Force for Walt Disney Pictures, which was released in theaters July 24, 2009.
On February 1, 2010, Mentell died in a car crash near Hollandale, Wisconsin. According to the Iowa County Sheriff's Department, Mentell was pronounced dead at the scene around 9 a.m. The accident was said to have taken place around 3:30 a.m. after his 2005 Jeep left the roadway on Highway 39, went down an embankment and struck two trees. One unconfirmed possibility is that he had fallen asleep at the wheel, though his Jeep was not discovered until later in the day by a passing farmer who alerted authorities. He was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle.
- Gotham, IL (2004) ... Johnny Wall
- Roll Bounce (2005) ... Skater
- At the Still Point (2005) ... Nate
- Boston Legal (2005–2006) ... Garrett Wells
- '77 (2006) ... Tony
- Palo Alto (2007) ... Ryan
- G-Force (2009) ... Terrell
- ↑ According to the State of Texas. Texas Birth Index, 1903–1997. Searchable at http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/txbirths
- ↑ Waukegan actor dies in one-car crash, Waukegan News Sun, 2010-02-01 2010-02-01. Dead link: October 2010, H3llBot.
- ↑ http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/02/justin-mentells-crash-reported-by-911-call-looks-like-one-person-dead.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
- ↑ BOSTON LEGAL - ACTOR MENTELL DEAD AT 27, www.contactmusic.com, 2010-02-02 first accessed 2010-02-02.
- ↑ 'Boston Legal' Actor Justin Mentell Dies 2010-02-01 accested 2010-02-02.]